Pages

Sunday 1 September 2013

Sayur Keladi Masak Lemak

Yam stem is edible.  It is cooked as a side dish during the Ramadhan bazaar

I know the Chinese eat yam stem.  I think all Sarawakians ate this.  I get to see how the Malays prepare this food during the Ramadhan food bazaar.  This dish was already a heap when I arrived at the scene so I will retrace and present how this dish is cooked with the ingredients generously shared by Kak Bedah.
1.  Pound red onions, lemon grass, garlic, ginger, galangal and chillies in a mortar.  Put aside on a dish.
2.  Pound shrimp paste or belacan, and dried anchovies (ikan billies) and put aside on a dish.
3.  Stir fry item 1 until fragrant followed by item 2.
4.  Add water and bring it to boil.  Add yam stem. Stir frequently.
5.  Add santan and simmer.
6.  Add salt, sugar to taste and garnish with turmeric leaves, daun kesun and daun sengkeh.